Every day, at least one child dies from a home fire and another 293 children are injured from fires or burns. Ninety percent of all fire-related deaths are due to home fires. Out of those, two in every five fires start in the kitchen.
That is something we want to change. The majority of all deadly home fires could have been prevented if the access to a fire extinguisher would have been easier. Traditional fire extinguishers look boring and industrial, which causes them to often end up in a closet or the garage, in places where they are too far out of reach if an accident were to occur.
We have prepared a list with our top 6 fire tips to keep your family and your home safe!
Top fire tips!
1. Keep a fire extinguisher close by and have it visible so people not living in the house can still access it as well. 99% of all fires starting in the kitchen can be put out immediately if you have a fire extinguisher nearby.
2. Working smoke alarms reduce the chances of dying in a fire by nearly 50 percent. For the best protection, install smoke alarms on every level of your home and in every sleeping area.
3. Teach kids never to play with matches, lighters or fireworks.
4. Create and practice a home fire escape plan with two ways out of your house in case of a fire.
5. Teach children to get low and get out when they hear the smoke alarm.
6. Use safety in the kitchen. Limit distractions when cooking and never leave a hot oven or stove unattended.